In February 2020 I collaborated with three other Cherokee Nation citizens, Daniel Heath Justice, Rebecca Nagle, and Twila Barnes, organizing an open letter to US Senator Elizabeth Warren. This letter was signed by over 200 Cherokees and other Native Americans. The letter can be found here. The Warren campaign’s response can be accessed here.
There was a lot of coverage of the letter, here are a few stories:
- The LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-02-26/elizabeth-warren-again-is-pressed-on-past-claims-of-native-american-heritage
- The Oklahoman: https://oklahoman.com/article/5656033/letter-from-cherokee-nation-citizens-prompts-elizabeth-warren-apology-for-real-harm-to-tribes
- The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/south-carolina-debate-primary-02-26?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#warren-is-criticized-again-over-past-ancestry-claims-and-writes-a-12-page-response
- Business Insider: https://www.businessinsider.com/native-americans-warren-to-renounce-ancestry-claim-dna-test-2020-2
- The Hill: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/484731-over-200-native-americans-sign-letter-urging-warren-to-retract-ancestry
- Axios: https://www.axios.com/elizabeth-warren-native-american-ancestry-apology-8b8f1d1d-b2da-4d08-8ab9-2a547498e212.html
- The Associated Press: https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/20200227/warren-still-dogged-by-past-claims-of-indigenous-ancestry
- Teen Vogue: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/cherokee-citizens-elizabeth-warren-tribal-heritage-sovereignty
- Indian Country Today: https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/the-most-public-debate-about-our-identity-in-a-generation-33WgRLzK7EChLu6PwmOEYA
ABC news: “Tribal leaders say 2020 should be about ‘life or death’ issues, not Warren’s DNA,” including my commentary that appropriation of Cherokee identity is a life or death issue. September 3, 2019.
Politico article covering the Warren apology, including commentary from me among other Cherokee folks. August 27, 2019.
The New York Times covered the Frank LaMere Native American Presidential Forum, including my commentary on the issue of tribal sovereignty for Cherokee people. August 20, 2019.
The Week magazine concluded its coverage of the Native American Presidential Forum by quoting my tweets of the event. August 19, 2019.
Hyperallergic had me on their podcast series to discuss decolonizing queer studies. August 9, 2019.
Indianz.com covered the Two-Spirit contingent at NYC’s Pride Parade this year, including the controversy around a group of people wearing fake headdresses. July 2, 2019.
Oprah.com included some of my commentary on the history of the “x” in Latinx. June 19, 2019.
The Statesman, Stony Brook University’s student newspaper, interviewed me about Argentine Intimacies. February 13, 2019.
Teen Vogue on the term “Hispanic” including my commentary on its history in US political culture and the census. October 9, 2018.